Candlelight has its separate natural resource management department that carries out the different environmental and livelihoods programmes. The department is run by a team of experienced staff with multi-disciplinary skills, such as community trainings, soil and water conservation, gender mainstreaming in environmental activities, climate change, sustainable agriculture, energy etc.
Major areas of focus include:
– Community trainings on climate change adaptation and environmental protection,
– Training sustainable agriculture practices with provision of seeds, hand tools and farm tillage hours to resource poor farmers.
– Training on fodder production and livestock management practices
– Soil and water conservation techniques
– Mainstreaming gender and environment
– Promoting alternative energies
– Roof water harvesting methods
– Nurseries management and reforestation program
– Construction and rehabilitation of water sources
– Construction of sub-surface dams
– Construction of shallow wells
– Construction of feeder roads
– Income generation/diversification activities with focus on pastoral and agro-pastoral communities. This includes bee-keeping trainings and material inputs, farmer’s assistance packages etc.
– Research & documentation
The following projects are on-going and completed environment field projects